Here’s another detailed guide on how to install the Jolla’s Sailfish OS on MeeGo powered smartphone Nokia N9. The guide will help you to Dual boot you N9 with MeeGo and SailFish mobile operating system.
Since it’s an unofficial port, there’s a fair share of things not working, including the camera, browser, Accelerometer, as well as Android compatibility not working. If you’ve got a N9 lying around and want to give Sailfish a try, full install instructions are below.
- Windows 7 machine with admin rights
- Nokia N9 and USB DataCable – Ensure your N9 is not Operator locked
- Basic Technical knowledge, handling the Terminal in N9, working with DOS prompt in PC.
- Please take back up of all your data in N9
- Ensure your N9 is charged 100% and then reset to factory settings (This is important!!)
- This guide expects you have a Wifi Internet connection available.
- This guide expects you have 7Zip installed in your PC
- Update your N9’s firmware to MeeGo PR 1.3:
- Download your product specific Firmware files here
- Download Flasher here : use only version v3.12.1
- Install Flasher on your laptop.
- Copy all the downloaded Firmware files to Flasher folder
- Open Command Prompt, Navigate to the folder where Flasher is installed
- Give command : flasher -i
- Now Connect N9 to your laptop / PC
- The current firmware version of your phone should appear
- Give command : flasher -f -F Firmware_filename.bin (There should be one file with size above 1GB and file extension .bin use it here)
Step 2 :
Step 3 :
- Download SailFish Image : Download URL here
- Now Go back to command prompt :
- Flash the OpenMode kernel and reboot your phone with:
- Give command : flasher -i
flasher -a Firmware_filename.bin -k zImage_22.214.171.124-openmode_l2fix –flash-only=kernel -f -R
Step 5 :
- Get Ready with Harmattan : You need to get Harmattan load completely and run for a few minutes set your date and time in the N9 and check if its working fine.
- Install Developer Mode and all its packages on Harmattan (N9) so Terminal mode is made available as it is required as we are flashing with Windows PC
Step 6 :
- Re-partition your handset :
- Unzip the MOSLO kernel to Flasher folder
- Now back to command prompt
- Flash the MOSLO kernel using command :
- Allow MOSLO to repartition your handset.
Step 7 :
- Install Ubiboot : Unpack ubiboot-02_0.3.5_131213_SFOS.tar using 7Zip
- Copy the extracted ubiboot_035_sailfishos.tar to your device e.g into the “MyDocs” folder by connecting it in Mass Storage Mode.
- Go to Terminal on your device, and obtain root access, then extract the archive:
- Power off your device and flash it in the usual way:
Step 8 :
- Install Sailfish:
- Rename the downloaded Sailfish image name to sailfish.tar.bz2
- In Harmattan, install Developer Mode if you haven’t already and install all the packages. Connect the phone to Windows in “USB Mass Storage Mode “.
- Copy sailfish.tar.bz2′ to the root of your N9 (X:\, where X is the letter of the drive).
- Disconnect the phone from the PC and remove the USB cable.
- Launch Terminal on Harmattan(N9) and type the following commands:
Step 9 :
- Now exit Terminal and reboot the device.
- While Phone is booting you can select which OS to boot , Tap on SailFish logo !
Congratulation You Now have Sailfish OS on N9!
Note: This tutorial follows the obvious disclaimer that you may risk bricking your phone, so attempt this at your own risk.