HMD Global has announced their first true Android flagship Nokia 8 smartphone at an event in London. They’ve previously released low-end and mid-range Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 Android devices, but many Nokia Fans, including myself, have been patiently waiting for a flagship smartphone from them.
Nokia 8 packs a 5.3-inch Quad HD 2K polarized display with sculpted Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection. The flagship smartphone is powered by an Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform with 4 GB RAM and it runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with promised regular Android features and security updates.
The Nokia 8 flagship smartphone sports a 13-megapixel dual image-fusion rear camera with both colour and monochrome sensors, plus a wide-angle 13 MP phase detection auto-focus front camera. Both front and rear cameras are equipped with ZEISS optics. It has Dual-Sight technology that uses both front and back cameras simultaneously, fusing both images together into one photo or video file.It also has full aluminium unibody design, machined from a single block of 6000 series aluminum, then polished into a luxury mirror finish. The Nokia 8 has gone through a rigorous 40-stage process of machining, anodizing and polishing which ensure its distinctive design paired flawlessly with the polished aluminium unibody.
Additionally Nokia 8 features Nokia OZO spatial 360° audio built in to its core. The industry-standard OZO audio technology for 360° uses the phone’s 3 microphones and Nokia acoustic technology algorithms to capture the sound in incredible detail then allow playback on the Nokia 8, YouTube and other supporting devices.
The phone also lets you broadcast live directly to Facebook and YouTube from within the camera app, thanks to the partnership. It has a 3,090mAh battery, is IP54 certified, and features a 3.5mm ADJ headphone port.
Nokia 8 specifications:
- OS: Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), upgradable to Android O
- Form Factor: Splashproof IP54 touch monoblock with capacitive system keys
- Display: 5.3-inch IPS LCD QHD 2560 x 1440, 554ppi pixel density, sculpted Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, 700 nits brightness
- Chipset: Octa-Core Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform with Adreno 540 GPU
- RAM: 4GB DDR4X RAM
- Storage: 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- SIM: Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD)
- Camera Rear: 13MP (Colour) primary camera with OIS + 13MP (Mono), ZEISS optics, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 76.9-degree wide-angle lens, PDAF, IR range finder, dual tone flash
- Camera Front: 13MP auto focus front-facing camera with ZEISS optics, PDAF, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 78.4˚ lens
- Audio: Nokia OZO 360° spatial surround sound
- Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9 mm
- Connectivity : 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (MIMO), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/ GLONASS, USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1, NFC, 3.5mm headphone jack,
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, E-compass, Gyroscope, Fingerprint Sensor, Hall sensor, Barometer,
- Battery: Integrated 3090 mAh battery4 with Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0
The Nokia 8 will come in Polished Blue, Tempered Blue, Steel and Polished Copper colors, Nokia says the “Gloss Blue” variant will have 6GB of RAM with all other variants coming with 4GB of RAM. The phone is priced at 599 Euros (US$ 700 / Rs. 44,990 approx.) and will start shipping in early September globally.